Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fail, Fail, Fail...Touchdown


Fail #1
My MIL bought the boys for $10.  The "artwork" wasn't my style, but the frame was great and we thought a framed poster would look great in their football room. The glass didn't survive the ride home:(

 Fail #2
I thought It would be fun to make the boys a football-shaped memo board.  I thought it looked a little too homemade :( :(

Fail # 3 (I was too frustrated to take a picture)
I covered cardboard squares w/ batting and fabric, then I hot glued them into the frame.  Did you know that thumb tacks will not stick into cardboard covered with fabric and cotton?  Neither did I :(:(:(

Touchdown-(or at least a 3 pt. field goal)
1. I hot glued ribbon across the fabric squares to form little memo boards and secured the ribbons w/ upholstery tacks.
2. Since I couldn't find any Saints fabric, I freezer-paper-stenciled a Fleur de lis with gold paint.
3. I removed the fabric squares from the middle and added a layer of cork instead.
4.  I set it against the wall in the hallway until I get around to hanging it on the wall. I'm still a little mad at it.
5. I think I may go back and add a ribbon across the cork, so it looks more balance. Thoughts?

I think I should also score extra points for not swearing or throwing fails 1-3 against the wall.

3x3 Walden Plaid Style Tile Set
Even w/ the frustration it is still cheaper than this-$349 @ PBTEEN
 
                           Without meaning to, it looks like the on I made for my daughter.
I'd love for you to link up any of your great ideas (or even fails) at my linky party here.
I link up with these fabulous parties, here and here.

11 comments:

  1. I feel like sometimes I get in "fail" ruts but you turned it around. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end result was awesome.....loved your post and your honest pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your bulletin board!! I just saw someone who fabric covered two layers of cardboard and the thumbtacks went in. So you could just remove the cotton? Your stencil looks awesome. Did you use the "values" frame for the memo board? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took three tries, that cracked me up :) I like the final result, and no, I wouldn't have known thumbtacks wouldn't stick into cardboard with batting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! I'd really love it if you'd share it at my Weekend Wonders bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your fails. The end result is great! Instead of ribbon in the middle, you could just paint the cork black. That would tie it in with the sides.

    Kimberly @ THE BROWN EYES HAVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up your football crafts to the College Football Tailgate Party! :) Love that you were willing to share all your fails too! I think the end result is great! I might need to make a Nebraska one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I love these boards and this is EXACTLY what I need for my office. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, I good for you posting your fails,. I am nover brave enough to do that, ha.
    http://thriftywithtriplets.blogspot.com/2011/09/carmel-apple-cake-pops.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some days it seems like all my projects are a bust but it looks like you triumphed after all. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome idea! It can be customized to any team. I think it would be a great gift for a kid going off to college! I'm hosting a new weekly meme called Thematic Thursday. Each week has a theme and accept any type of link-up that relates to the theme. This week's theme is Super Bowl - Football. I'd love to see you link this up!

    ReplyDelete