Monday, March 26, 2012

Chinese Taco Salad

 

I'm sure that are your kids shun sweets and fats and beg for fruits and veggies, but it's a struggle around here to get the kiddos to eat any for dinner that doesn't come with a toy. My kids will eat taco salad, and so I decided to try the same idea, but with Asian inspired ingredients.
Ingredients:
Meat sauce:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 chopped onion
2 Tb. Soy sauce


Salad:
Cabbage
Carrots
Peppers
Peas
Chow Mein Noodles
Mandarin Oranges
You can really add anything you like: water chestnuts, mushrooms, pineapple, beans, sugar snap peas, onions, rice, quinoa, etc.


Dressing:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Splenda
1 Tb rice wine vinegar
1 Tb sesame oil
1/4 tsp ginger (optional)



Serve w/ chopsticks-because that makes it more fun.


My kids enthusiastically chowed down and even went for seconds and thirds.  It gained a very high place on the "make again" list.  


We tried to think of a fun name for it. Maybe "Chaco Salad"? Maybe Ninja Taco Salad?


UPDATE: I sent the leftover w/ the hubby for lunch and he actually texted me to say "I'm surprisingly a huge fan of the Turkey Chaco salad." In 16 years, it's the first lunch that has been text worthy. 




To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. MMmm. This looks super yummy. I'm afraid my little guys wouldn't really go for it, but I would love to work my way up to it, because it sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fun. I never thought of doing an Asian inspired "taco bar". What a great way to introduce your kids to new favors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I don't think I would ever have combined those, but it sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm sure even my none-veggie-eating boyfriend would give this a try. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Text worthy.... definitely means I should make this too!! haha

    Thank you so very much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for text worthy lunches!!! Thank you for sharing it on A Crafty Soiree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really good I need to make lighter dishes....had to buy new jeans yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. And full of vegetables, which is a challenge for me when making dinners. Definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soooo yummy!! Give yourself a pat on the back! thank you for sharing at Uncommon! ;)

    Bonnie @ uncommon

    ReplyDelete