Thursday, April 12, 2012

Folded Pleated Ruffles-Sewing 101

 
Today we are going to talk about pleats:
I love pleats almost as much as pintucks.  Here are some pleated ruffle projects of mine you may have  missed:

Are you ready for today's lesson?
 (check out the old lessons HERE)
 Step 1: Pick some fabric (my favorite part).  Measure your waist and the desired length of the skirt.  Cut 2 pieces of fabric:
waist meaurement (wide) and the desired length + 1/2 inches 


Step 2: Now please go follow the directions from week 3 to sew your skirt. Do not sew the bottom hem.
 Step 3: cut strips 4 inches wide (this will give you about 1.5 inch ruffle so adjust width according you your preference). Depending on the size of the skirt, you'll need 3-4 of these. 
(side note to all you seamstresses out there, feel free to cut your strips on the bias, but if your a newbie, we haven't even talked about "bias" yet so just cut as normal-I did and it turned out fine)
 Step 4: Sew the strips  (right sides together) so they make a super long strips.  Press seam open.
 Step 5: Fold strip in half and press.

Step 6:  If you are a perfectionist, with a sewing marker and a ruler mark every inch.  Then fold and pin.  If you are more a "close-enough" type person, feel free to "eye-ball it".  Pin to right side of bottom of the skirt.
 Step 7: Sew into place, but leave several inches open, where you will connect the ends.  I really hope this next part makes sense.
 Step 8: Unfold each end and sew (right sides together) the 2 pieces.  Press seam open.
 Step 9: Fold it in half and reform pleats.
It should look like this.

 Step 10: Finish ends.  If you don't have a serger, use a zig-zag stitch.
 Step 11:  Press seam towards the skirt.
Step 12: Very carefully top-stitch.

You are done!  Admire your work!


Pin It
To see where I link up or to add your party, please click here.


I am thrilled to be:


19 comments:

  1. very good instructions. Thanks. I might make one of these for my granddaughter. Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for stopping over at Sweetwater....I appreciate your party! I am going to make pillows with pleats this weekend if I am not to tired from getting the garden going! Maybe it will rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I wish I could sew better! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never done anything with pleates, but I sure do love the look of them...I will have to try this out! I would love to have you share these at my link party going on right now!
    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/04/homemade-by-you-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this one!!! I was worried about stopping over and adding to my list of things I want to learn. You always have such great tutorials! But, I know this one. I love love pleats! Everything looks neat and tidy...with just a bit of fun! Thanks for linking to the Stinky Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will draft it when I will be expert in sewing. That's for sure. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt is beautiful! I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your project!!!
    I currently have a Craft, Create and Inspire linky party going on, i would love you to stop by and link up this project...
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_14.html
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! I came over from Adventures in Dinner. I am new-ish at sewing, but my confidence is growing and growing. I'm following you now, since I love easy tutorials for new sewing projects! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE! Those are my favorite types of ruffles and I didn't realize they were so easy to make! Thanks for the awesome sewing tutorials! And thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooo stinkin adorable! Love the sweet little ruffles. Also I just wanted to let you know that I featured your Night Owl party on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU! This post is being bookmarked right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That skirt is darling!! Thanks for the tips on sewing!
    I currently have a link party going and would love for you to share this and anything else you would like!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/04/thursdays-temptation-link-party-14.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for linking up this lovely project!!!
    This week’s linky party is up, i would love you to stop by and link up another fabulous project....
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_21.html
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I think I may actually be able to sew this...I'm not a sewer at all but you made it look easy! Found you over at Fingerprints on the Fridge! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Party - open all week!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/04/tuesday-time-out-april-24th.html

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm here to testify about what DR. OYAGU did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 2 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday. This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Shayla Bosschart on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OYAGU on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. OYAGU prepared and sent me Healing Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. OYAGU assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. OYAGU for help via email} oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com visit his website https://oyaguspellcaster.wixsite.com/oyaguherbalhome whatsapp him through his mobile} +2348101755322. , Thanks once again DR. OYAGU for making me a happy woman again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. For Hsv-1&2 cure and to win Ex back,,. Email Robinsonbuckler11 @gmai l.... com………

    ReplyDelete