Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Author Review Sarah Addison Allen


In an effort to add some sort of consistancy to the blog, Wednesday's are now going to be "Book Day".

Lately, I've read all of Sarah Addison Allen's books.  The Peach Keeper (review here) was my favorite and the Girl Who Chased the Moon was my least favorite.

One critic harshly labeled her a one trick pony. Her books are all very similar, but I find it an extremely wonderful pony.

They all:
-are set in small North Carolina towns and are full of southern charm and wisdom.
-contrast who we were to who we are now
-have strong female relationships
-contain fantastic romance
-contain a smidgen of magic and mystery-wall paper that changes according to moods, food that causes emotions, ghosts, magic apple trees
- end in happily-ever-afters

Mostly I love Allen's beautiful writing style. For example,  I would say, "The sun didn't go down until late because it was summer."  She said,"Summer was a lady who didn't give up her spotlight easy." Fabulous.


I didn't take notes on most of the books, but here are some quotes I like from Sugar Queen.

In all my life, I've only been sure of one thing. Food makes everything better. At least until its gone."

“A hard cry could draw walls in, it could bend metal, it could turn a full moon into a sliver.”


“Sometimes what it is inside will change your life, but sometimes you don't have to read it. Sometimes it is a comfort just to have a book around.”



"I lost myself trying to find happiness in things that didn’t love me back.”



"It was always easier to be generous with people you didn’t know well."


Have you read any of her books?

4 comments:

  1. I just read the Peach Keeper last month. A good read. I wish my library had more of her books for Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but you've convinced me! I'm excited to check her out! You always give great book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any of her books but I'm highly swayed by cool covers and her cover art is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" this week. I adore all of her books!

    ReplyDelete